MSA & Frenford FC 3 - 3 Tottenham Hotsnatch

Goalscorers: Tayyiba, Sara, Raj

The ladies ended the Flexi league season with a scrappy draw, with the one point sufficient to secure second place in the Flexi league.

The Reds went ahead early in the first half, but Tottenham quickly pulled a goal back to equalise. This set up the pattern for the remainder of the game, with the ladies going ahead, only to concede shortly afterwards due to sloppy defensive errors. Both teams missed excellent chances to go ahead towards the end. The game finished 3-3 and although this wasn’t the result we wanted, it was enough to finish 2nd.

Overall it was an excellent season for the Flexi ladies who were neck and neck with both SCDM and Islington Reds right until the very end. We will hopefully come back better and stronger to challenge for the title next season, which will be starting in three weeks.

Frenford & MSA Women FC 4 - 3 SCDM

Goalscorers: Tayyiba (2), Sara, Zaina (pen)

MSA & Frenford headed into the penultimate game of the season 4 points off the top of the table and level on 22 points with both SCDM and Islington Reds. It was another must-win game for the ladies, with top place still all to play for.

Our tactics were clear in the opening stages of the match, with the players easing into a familiar routine of passing the ball out of defence and maximising combination play. The opposition simply could not keep up with the pace of the passing and we got off to a flying start, going 3-0 up within eight minutes thanks to quality finishes by Tayyiba and Sara.

Unfortunately for MSA, the lead didn't last very long. Double substitutions by both sides midway through the first half transformed the game. We struggled to recover the earlier rhythm we’d established and sloppy defending resulted in SCDM recovering the heavy deficit with relative ease.

We went into half time 3-3.

SCDM continued to dominate possession following the break. Sara put in a player-of-the-match performance in defence, winning every header and repeatedly blocking all attempts on goal. The winner arrived for us in the form of a penalty. Hanna was fouled in the box following an excellent run towards goal. The ref pointed to the spot, and a cool finish by Zaina put us in the lead. This set up a tense finish to the game, with SCDM pushing desperately for an equaliser, but a superb defensive effort by the team resulted in a hard fought 4-3 victory to us.

It was a great game for the fans and a big win for the ladies, who now set their sights on a 2nd place finish following Clapton’s league victory.

MSA & Frenford FC 3 - 6 Islington Reds

Goalscorers: Raj x2 + Tayyiba

MSA & Frenford suffered a heavy and disheartening defeat on Thursday evening against third placed Islington Reds. It was the Flexi team’s first defeat following the re-start and put a huge dent in our bid for a strong league finish.

Islington Reds completely dominated the first half, scoring five goals in 15 minutes and shattering all hopes of a comeback. The ladies came out for the second half hoping to damage-control. The performance was much improved, with more composure in possession and better link-up play between the forwards. We managed to get three goals back to put some pressure on the opposition, but we had left ourselves far too much to do. The opposition stretched their lead to 6-3 before the final whistle to round off a comfortable win for them.

It was disappointing to be defeated in this manner, but lessons were learned and there were a lot of positives to take from our second-half performance. Hopefully we will come back much stronger for the final two games of the season.

MSA & Frenford FC 4 - 1 Clapton FC

Goalscorers: Tayyiba x4

MSA & Frenford FC headed into a torrential Thursday evening game trailing six points behind the leaders Clapton FC. The 4-2 defeat back in February was still fresh and the ladies were determined to put pressure on the leaders with a win.

Both teams were energetic from the start, pressing off the ball and knocking it around comfortably in possession. Five minutes into the game, a goal came for MSA when a long-range effort by Tayyiba slipped through the goalkeepers’ arms and into the net. A sustained period of pressure led to another two goals in the first half to make it 3-0. Wahida was unlucky not to make it four, making an excellent run down the right wing and releasing a shot that flashed just wide of the left post.

This was almost a mirror reverse of the scoreline in our previous encounter with Clapton FC, where we were down 4-0 before half time.

The game inevitably opened up in the second half as Clapton were forced to commit players forward in search for a goal. Close-range saves by both Sara and Zaina denied Clapton from scoring, although they managed to capitalise on a momentary loss of possession to get a goal back. The remainder of the second half was fairly scrappy, with both teams struggling to maintain possession as the rain chucked down. MSA grabbed another goal before the blow of the final whistle, to make it a full-time score of 4-1.

It was great to see a convincing win and solid defensive performance by the ladies against a Clapton side with an almost impeccable league record. Only six points now separate the top three, with three games left to play.

MSA & Frenford FC 4 - 1 Goaldiggers FC

MSA & Frenford FC returned to Mabley Green this week to play friendlies in the Super 5 League season after five months without league football. We also welcome back Raj, who celebrated her birthday with a return to football following an extended injury break.

The Tuesday evening game saw 2nd placed MSA & Frenford play Goal Diggers FC in the Flexi League.

It’s fair to say there were a lot of stiff legs following the ladies’ intense 11 a-side game at Frenford Stadium the previous evening, but the squad put the lack of recovery time behind them and looked fresh from kick-off. The attackers pressed forward and put the team 2-0 ahead early on, with goals from Tayyiba and Sara.

The Goal Diggers persisted, showed their resilience and caught us on the break to make it 2-1. Excellent defending from Hanna and Raj prevented an equaliser in a nervy few minutes close to the end of the first half.

The team began in similar fashion to the first half; a couple of early goals by the two forwards stretched the lead to a more comfortable 4-1. Despite a few scares at the back and a stream of attacks by GDFC, the ladies stood firm in defence and were helped by the opposition, who struggled to put away their chances. Yusra made some excellent saves in the first half as goalkeeper and almost scored in the closing stages of the match, with the ball flying towards the top left hand corner, but unfortunately colliding with Raj’s face.

It was an excellent re-start for the Flexi team, who have a week to recover before we see them again next Thursday in a top of the table clash against Clapton FC.